Government returns church building property

The Pinghe County government returned the property to a church in China’s southeast coastal province of Fujian because it was occupied by another organization 70 years ago.

As a Chinese-style ordinary house, Gospel Church in Jiufeng Town, Pinghe County, was occupied by other organizations after the 1949 Chinese Revolution. property of religious organizations, the county government held an executive meeting this year to discuss church land ownership disputes, agreeing to return all land use rights and house ownership, and informing the church to register the building.

With the introduction of the Gospel in 1905, a church belonging to the Church of Christ in China was established in the town of Jiufeng, located in Pinghe County, which was established in 1518 and whose name was given by the emperor. Chen Shiyi, Chen Shi and Zhang Xiangxian once fed church believers belonging to the Luxi Church.

According to Pinghe Geographical Directory of Christianity, the American Church of Christ sent a pastor whose Chinese name was Reverend Lu Jiubo to Pinghe in 1872 to preach the gospel. After 1892, 14 churches and chapels were built successively, including Nansheng Church, Wuzhai Church, Wenfeng Chapel and Xiazhai Chapel. In 1949, when the People’s Republic of China was founded, there were 1,042 Christians in Pinghe and 35 Christians in Jiufeng. In 1946, the owner of Jiufeng Church was Liu Jihe from the Church of Christ in China.

According to Jiufeng local elders, before 1949, foreigners and American believers would go and give sermons at the Jiufeng Church, holding services on Saturdays and Sundays and handing out milk and sweets to attendees.

Although the church was closed due to occupation after 1949, the gospel was spread again by Sun Shujuan of Zhangzhou in Fujian. Along with other believers from the Zhangzhou church, Sun preached the gospel to her husband’s family in Jiufeng on October 1, 2000. After the prayer, the Lord healed Zeng Chunhui, the youngest man in the family, of his repeated fever which did not improve even after taking medication. Later, they led Zeng and his wife to offer prayers of confession and repentance. The next morning, the couple asked these Christians to help them remove the idols from their house, deciding to worship God with all their hearts. In order to strengthen their faith, the Zhangzhou church sent two young pastors to serve in Jiufeng in November 2000. Arranged by the church after the Spring Festival in 2001, Zeng and his wife went to Shencheng Church in Quanzhou City to attend a course for believers. , attending the Bible study class held by the Zhangzhou Church in Hongkeng Village, Nanjing County. On July 1 of that year, they were baptized, becoming the first Christian couple in Jiufeng after the founding of the People’s Republic of China. Then they returned to Jiufeng to spread the gospel until now.

(The article was originally published by Gospel Times and the author is a Christian from Fujian Province.)

– Translated by Abigail Wu

福建省平和县九峰福音堂

Government returns church building property

Comments are closed.