Dedication of the church building after three decades of reconstruction

A rural church in southeastern China’s coastal province of Fujian held its dedication service after the frame was built more than 30 years ago with believers worshiping inside.

During the church service held on November 5 for Tatan Village Church, Chengxi Town, Longhai District, Zhangzhou City, pastors from downtown Zhangzhou called believers to worship, held prayers with congratulations and led the congregation to read the scriptures.

After congratulatory messages from local church leaders, Reverend Huang Lihong of Beimen Church in Zhangzhou delivered a sermon titled “The Dedication of the Temple”, with a hymn from the choir of Jiexi Church on Shima Street. , followed by the introduction of the church.

The church is located in a remote mountain village with an average altitude of over 500 meters and a permanent population of less than 4,000 people.

Reverend Ouyang Hou, who proposed to establish a Christian school – Baotan Primary School – in 1925, bought the land for the existing church, along with a former house for gatherings. In 1938, the pastor invested in the renovation of the church, rare in rural areas of southern Fujian at that time.

Tatan Church demolished the original large house and erected a church building in 1942, with the number of believers gradually increasing as the meeting time changed from night to day. In the same year, Zhangzhou Dongbanhou Church established a branch in Tatan Village. Up to that time the church had established seven branches which were called the “seven candlesticks”.

Pastor Ouyang Shuping, who works at the church in Fuzhou Shangdu, shared that during the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression (1931-1945), Reverend Ouyang Hou sent his grandfather Ouyang Hongdai at school later supported him to advance to Minnan Theological Seminary. After returning to Tatan Village, Hongdai served as president of Baotan Elementary School founded by Hou, teaching by day and preaching by night. When Hou went to Malaysia, he intended to bring Hongdai with him but left him at Tatan Church, considering there was no pastor in the local church and the children from Hongdai were still young. Hongdai invited a female pastor named Lu to live in Tatan Village with her youngest daughter to carry out missionary work, the Gospel Prospers as more than 20 families gathered at that time.

After the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949, the church ceased operations as there were no pastors in the village. After the implementation of the religious freedom policy in 1978, Christians began to gather among believers, with more and more people joining the meeting. Listed as a place of religious activities in 1999, the church which had become a dilapidated and dilapidated building for many years was rebuilt on the original site in 1998 with donations from the congregation and other sister churches.

After the framework was built in December 1999, reconstruction ended this year due to lack of funds, with believers worshiping inside while they waited.

(The article originally appeared in the Gospel Times and the author is a follower from Fujian.)

– Translated by Abigail Wu


Dedication of the church building after three decades of reconstruction

Comments are closed.